Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to have macros enabled at start

When I open a worksheet which contains macros I get the security warning
and have to select Enable Macros.

One of the workbooks will be given to another person who is running
Excel 97. What can they do, if anything, so they do not get the secuity
warning without setting the security level to low? I read in the help
menu for my Excel 2003 that digitally signed sheets would not be read by
Excel 97.

Bill

There are 10 types of people; those that understand binary and those
that don't.

Remove NOTME to reply direct

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill
AFAIK no way (this would circumvent this secruity feature - would also
allow macro viruse to use this procedure)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Bill D. wrote:
When I open a worksheet which contains macros I get the security
warning and have to select Enable Macros.

One of the workbooks will be given to another person who is running
Excel 97. What can they do, if anything, so they do not get the
secuity warning without setting the security level to low? I read in
the help menu for my Excel 2003 that digitally signed sheets would
not be read by Excel 97.

Bill

There are 10 types of people; those that understand binary and those
that don't.

Remove NOTME to reply direct

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your reply. I know there is nothing that could be programed
into the macro or worksheet that would automatically accept the macro.
What I was wondering is, is there something the user could do within his
own copy of Excel that would tell it to accept the particular worksheet?
Can a user attach a signature that would verify the macro as safe for
that specific worksheet?

You can see I do not fully understand what triggers the security alerts.

Bill

There are 10 types of people; those that understand binary and those
that don't.

Remove NOTME to reply direct

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bill

Excel 97 macro security is "on" or "off". No levels as 2000 and beyond.

Excel 97 does not support Digital Signatures.

Other than the user turning off the warning in ToolsOptionsGeneral there is
nothing that can be done.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP