-   -   Excel Parameters (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/295088-excel-parameters.html)

Dan[_33_]

Excel Parameters

I'm creating an MS Query using SQL and am trying to find
out if there is a way around the limitation of not being
able to use parameters [ ] in the query if it cannot be
represented graphically, as excel states it. The Problem
is that the SQL query needs to have multiple outer joins
and excel states that a query with multiple outer joins
cannot be represented graphically, and in turn parameters
cannot be used in a MS Query that cannot be represented
graphically. A catch 22. Any ideas or workarounds?

Dick Kusleika[_3_]

Excel Parameters

Dan

You can add the programmatically (I think - I've never tried it with outer
joins). See here

http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/ExternalData6.htm

Near the bottom is the VBA code to add a parameter.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"Dan" wrote in message
I'm creating an MS Query using SQL and am trying to find
out if there is a way around the limitation of not being
able to use parameters [ ] in the query if it cannot be
represented graphically, as excel states it. The Problem
is that the SQL query needs to have multiple outer joins
and excel states that a query with multiple outer joins
cannot be represented graphically, and in turn parameters
cannot be used in a MS Query that cannot be represented
graphically. A catch 22. Any ideas or workarounds?

onedaywhen

Excel Parameters

Workaround: create a stored procedure that accepts the parameters you
want to pass.

BTW are you sure you *do* need multiple outer joins? I don't wish to
question your judgement, it's just from experience that often when I
start out with more than one outer join I find I can get away with
inner joins and just one outer join. Might be worth a quick double
check if it's causing you grief.