-   -   Changing Text into Numbers, using VBA (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/294869-changing-text-into-numbers-using-vba.html)

Cecil[_3_]

Changing Text into Numbers, using VBA

When importing from a FoxPro database, all the charactors come over as text. When I try to sum these numbers, it will not sum because excel thinks they are text. Isn't there a way to convert all these to numbers through vba?

Frank Kabel

Changing Text into Numbers, using VBA

Hi
one way (non-VBA):
select and empty cell and copy it
- select your imported values
- goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Cecil wrote:
When importing from a FoxPro database, all the charactors come over
as text. When I try to sum these numbers, it will not sum because
excel thinks they are text. Isn't there a way to convert all these
to numbers through vba?

cecil

Changing Text into Numbers, using VBA

No offence Frank, but all the advice I have gotten from you has been shall we say lame. There is 20 ways to manually do the text to numbers thing, I can do that. I am looking to do it with vba so I don't have to do it manually. Thanks anyway

----- Frank Kabel wrote: ----

one way (non-VBA)
select and empty cell and copy i
- select your imported value
- goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add

--
Regard
Frank Kabe
Frankfurt, German

Cecil wrote
When importing from a FoxPro database, all the charactors come ove
as text. When I try to sum these numbers, it will not sum becaus
excel thinks they are text. Isn't there a way to convert all thes
to numbers through vba?

Vasant Nanavati

Changing Text into Numbers, using VBA

Cecil, for a person looking for help your attitude has has been rather shall
we say lame?

--

Vasant

Cecil wrote:
When importing from a FoxPro database, all the charactors come over
as text. When I try to sum these numbers, it will not sum because
excel thinks they are text. Isn't there a way to convert all these
to numbers through vba?

mudraker[_177_]

Changing Text into Numbers, using VBA

Sub ffff()
Dim C As Range
For Each C In Range("c1:c10")
C.NumberFormat = "0"
C.Value = C.Value
Next
End Su

Frank Kabel

Changing Text into Numbers, using VBA

So
try something like
sub foo()
dim rng as range
dim cell as range
set rng = selection
for each cell in rng
if cell.value<""
cell.numberformat="General"
cell.value=cell.value
end if
next
end sub

----
you may consider skipping such words as 'lame' as this won't help you
getting advice

--
Regards
Frank Kabel