-   -   fastest hardware for excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/294858-fastest-hardware-excel.html)

N Lennox

fastest hardware for excel

What would be the absolute fastest hardware you could run
Excel on? Would excel recalcing performance improve with
a 64-bit processor or dual processor machine?

Niek Otten

fastest hardware for excel

Most important for Excel performance:

- A recent version. Apart from a few VBA problems, newer versions are faster
- A fast processor. I have not been able to see any improvements with faster
video cards etc
- Enough memory. Certainly for "housekeeping" activities, like keeping
Undo-lists, Excel benefits from lots of memory. If it starts swapping memory
to disk, performance may drop by a factor of 10 or so.

In general: a very good site about Excel performance is

http://www.decisionmodels.com

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"N Lennox" wrote in message
What would be the absolute fastest hardware you could run
Excel on? Would excel recalcing performance improve with
a 64-bit processor or dual processor machine?

Tom Ogilvy

fastest hardware for excel

To the best of my knowledge, you would need a version of Excel that is
written for a 64 bit processor to get any gain there. As to dual/multiple
processors, only if it is competing against other processes - excel itself
doesn't take advantage of multiple processors.

Tom Ogilvy