-   -   Comparing values in two columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/294796-comparing-values-two-columns.html)

nicoll

Comparing values in two columns

Hi

Is there a simple way to do the following with a macro?

I have two columns of data, for each value in column A I want to find out if
the corresponding entry in column B is always the same. E.g.

Column A Column B
Ann 2
Ann 2
Ann 2
Ann 2
Bill 5
Bill 5
Bill 6 ****
Bill 5
Bill 5
David 1
David 1
Catherine 3
Catherine 3
Catherine 3
Catherine 3
David 3 ****
Emily 4
Emily 4
Emily 4
Emily 4
Emily 4

I want to find the entries in column B where I've added an ***.

Thanks.

Frank Kabel

Comparing values in two columns

Hi
I'm not sure about your example as for me column B seems to be empty?.
_But you may take a look at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...tractingCommon
for a non-macro solution

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

nicoll wrote:
[...]

My post didn't format the same as it appeared on my screen.
Column A contains the names, column B contains the numbers.

Thanks for your help.

JMay

Comparing values in two columns

In column C (New helper Column) enter =a1&b1 and Copy Down.
In Column D enter =IF(SUM(1/COUNTIF($C$1:$C$23,$C$1:$C1))=1,"***","")
and Copy Down.
HTH