-   -   Finding Procedure which generated error (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/294728-finding-procedure-generated-error.html)

LS[_2_]

Finding Procedure which generated error

Hi

I have a worksheet with several modules each with several procedures.
I have dealt with all the errors I can anticipate (which means there
must be some that I have not dealt with!) and have handled those with
a common 'if all else fails' error procedure. This will leave the
worksheet in a 'safe', mode ensuring sheets are hidden or protected.

The procedure also generates a message showing Err.Number and
Err.Description, however it would be useful to know which procedure
actually generated the error so that when I get a call about it I know
where to start looking.

I tried using Err.Source but that just gives the name of the entire
project - not the module or better still, the procedure name.
Is this possible?

Thanks

LS

Tom Ogilvy

Finding Procedure which generated error

Only if you write code that passes the information to your error handler.
In other words, no there is no property or method that will return any
information about where the error occured.

that said, here is some discussion on the arcane ERL function

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...40bmsltd.co.uk

Tom Ogilvy

Hi

I have a worksheet with several modules each with several procedures.
I have dealt with all the errors I can anticipate (which means there
must be some that I have not dealt with!) and have handled those with
a common 'if all else fails' error procedure. This will leave the
worksheet in a 'safe', mode ensuring sheets are hidden or protected.

The procedure also generates a message showing Err.Number and
Err.Description, however it would be useful to know which procedure
actually generated the error so that when I get a call about it I know
where to start looking.

I tried using Err.Source but that just gives the name of the entire
project - not the module or better still, the procedure name.
Is this possible?

Thanks

LS

Bob Phillips[_6_]

Finding Procedure which generated error

Have to do it manually.Create a public variable and set that in each
procedure, like

Dim callProc As String

Sub proc1()

callProc="proc1"
'...
End Sub

Sub proc2()

callProc="proc2"
'...

HTH

Bob Phillips

"LS" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Many thanks to both Bob & Tom for their replies.
I used a variable in each module and it works fine.

LS