-   -   Adding data to SQL Server 7 from Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/292699-adding-data-sql-server-7-excel.html)

Rich[_21_]

Adding data to SQL Server 7 from Excel

Hello,
My apologies if this is not the correct/best place for this posting.

I am pretty new to database programming. I have a spreadsheet which
contains industry SIC codes which I obtained from the SEC.Gov website. I am
trying to get this data (about 450 rows in Excel) into a table in SQL Server
7.0. Can anyone give me a little guideance on how to do this?

I have made a connection from Excel to the SQL database using Tools Get
External Data but not sure where to go from there. Are there any other
simple options available for this? I run WinXP and Office XP.

TIA,
Rich

onedaywhen

Adding data to SQL Server 7 from Excel

This is best done within SQL Server. In Enterprise Manager, take a
look at Data Transformation Services. If you do not have access to the
server tools (i.e. you only have a client connection), you may be able
to use a SELECT..INTO query to create a new table, however your
permissions may only allow you to create a temp table.