-   -   CONTAINS SPECIFIC TEXT OR NUMBER (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/292115-contains-specific-text-number.html)

D.S.[_3_]

CONTAINS SPECIFIC TEXT OR NUMBER

Is there a way to test a cell for a specific text or number? Lets say a cell
contents of cell A1 begins with the word <Check, how would I test for that?

--
D.S.

JE McGimpsey

CONTAINS SPECIFIC TEXT OR NUMBER

One way:

Dim bCheck As Boolean
bCheck = Range("A1").Text Like "Check*"

another:

Dim bCheck As Boolean
bCheck = Left(Range("A1").Text, 5) = "Check"

note these are case sensitive. To make them case insensitive, you can do
something like:

Dim bCheck As Boolean
bCheck = UCase(Range("A1").Text) Like "CHECK*"

In article ,
"D.S." wrote:

Is there a way to test a cell for a specific text or number? Lets say a cell
contents of cell A1 begins with the word <Check, how would I test for that?

D.S.[_3_]

CONTAINS SPECIFIC TEXT OR NUMBER

Thank you, I knew about the 'Left' function, I knew there was another and
couldn't remember what it was. Kept thinking it was some like 'contains'.

'Like' should work splendidly. Thanks again