-   -   ambiguous name detected (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/290077-ambiguous-name-detected.html)

mark

ambiguous name detected

In VB, you can have a control array.

In Excel (last I knew of), you can't.

But, Excel 2000 will let you give two controls the same
name.

However, once you've done that, it won't let you back into
the form (even if you disable macros). It just
says, "Ambigous name detected: ~"

Fortunately, this isn't a particular problem since I
pretty much came across it while testing, and have an
immediate backup copy of it.

But, for my info, is there a way to recover from that if
someone else were to do it and ask me about it?

Thanks.

Juan Pablo González

ambiguous name detected

Just press Esc a couple of times (Sometimes it takes more than a couple !),
and rename the control.

Juan Pablo González

"mark" wrote in message
In VB, you can have a control array.

In Excel (last I knew of), you can't.

But, Excel 2000 will let you give two controls the same
name.

However, once you've done that, it won't let you back into
the form (even if you disable macros). It just
says, "Ambigous name detected: ~"

Fortunately, this isn't a particular problem since I
pretty much came across it while testing, and have an
immediate backup copy of it.

But, for my info, is there a way to recover from that if
someone else were to do it and ask me about it?

Thanks.

mark

ambiguous name detected

Just press Esc a couple of times (Sometimes it takes more
than a couple !),and rename the control.

that of course works if the problem is that it won't let
you create the ambiguous name.

but this morning, it let met creat the ambiguous name,
save the file, etc...

the question was if there was a way to recover AFTER the
ambiguous name was already created.

but, for now, it's unimportant. I have the other copy.

jaf

ambiguous name detected

Hi Mark,
Yes.
Export the form and then open the form file with a hex editor and rename the
control.
Delete the form from the project and re-import the edited file.

--
John
johnf 202 at hotmail dot com