-   -   Passing Excel formats in VBA date variables (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/289847-passing-excel-formats-vba-date-variables.html)

ExcelMonkey[_54_]

Passing Excel formats in VBA date variables

I have a start date in my spreadsheet model that is formatted as follow
(m/d/yyyy h:mm). I have named the cell "xlStartDate" I have a VB
variable that is called StartDate. I pass the excel variable to th
vba variable

Dim StartDate As Date
StartDate = Range("xlStartDate")

When I put my cursor over teh StartDate varible it says 01/01/2004.
Why does it not have the formatting of m/d/yyyy h:mm

Rob van Gelder[_4_]

Passing Excel formats in VBA date variables

ExcelMonkey,

StartDate is just a date variable. It contains a date and that's all - no
formatting.
The format in the tooltip you're seeing is a format defined by your regional
settings.

"ExcelMonkey " wrote in message
I have a start date in my spreadsheet model that is formatted as follows
(m/d/yyyy h:mm). I have named the cell "xlStartDate" I have a VBA
variable that is called StartDate. I pass the excel variable to the
vba variable

Dim StartDate As Date
StartDate = Range("xlStartDate")

When I put my cursor over teh StartDate varible it says 01/01/2004.
Why does it not have the formatting of m/d/yyyy h:mm?

---

ExcelMonkey[_55_]

Passing Excel formats in VBA date variables

If I want to format it do I use a format function or a format method o
the vba variable

Rob van Gelder[_4_]

Passing Excel formats in VBA date variables

Yes, you would use the format function when you wanted to show the date as a
string.
eg.

Sub test()
Dim dtmTemp As Date

dtmTemp = Now()

MsgBox dtmTemp 'automatically formats as defined by regional settings

MsgBox Format(dtmTemp, "dd-Mmm-yyyy HH:mm")

"ExcelMonkey " wrote in message
If I want to format it do I use a format function or a format method on
the vba variable?

---