-   -   Excel Spreadsheet-Salutation Column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/289192-excel-spreadsheet-salutation-column.html)

pam

Excel Spreadsheet-Salutation Column

I have a mailing list of 4000 doctors. Does anyone know
of a formula I can use to create a salutation
column "Dear Last Name" without retyping all the names?

Otto Moehrbach[_6_]

Excel Spreadsheet-Salutation Column

Pam
You don't say anything about the layout of your list. Let's say the
last name is in Column B starting in B2.
Let's also say you want your salutation to be "Dear Dr. Smith".
In row 2 of some empty column, type the following formula:
="Dear Dr. " & B2

Note that there is a space after Dr.
Drag this formula down Column B as far as your data goes.
If you want to get rid of the formulas and retain the salutation, copy all
the filled cells in the column that has the formulas. Then select the first
formula cell in that column and do Edit - Paste Special, click on the Values
radio button, Click OK.
HTH Otto