-   -   Dynamically adding an in-cell drop-down list (i.e. Validation Object) to a cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/288231-dynamically-adding-cell-drop-down-list-i-e-validation-object-cell.html)

debartsa

Dynamically adding an in-cell drop-down list (i.e. Validation Object) to a cell?

Hi everybody,

I'm using Excel 97 with VBA to dynamically add a Validation object to
cell("A7").
My goal is to have an in-Cell dropdown list display when a user selects the
cell...

With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A7").Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, Formula1:="Red,Green,Blue"
End With

I get a Run-time error='1004' Application Defined or object-defined error?

Can I dynamically add a in-cell drop down list to a cell?

Thanks for any help!
Sam

pikus

Dynamically adding an in-cell drop-down list (i.e. Validation Object) to a cell?

I have a little something for you:

ActiveSheet.DropDowns.Add(0, 76.5, 96, 15.75).Select
With Selection
.Placement = xlMove
.PrintObject = True
.ListFillRange = "$A$1:$A$3"
.LinkedCell = "$A$4"
.DropDownLines = 3
End With
Range("A1").Value = "Red"
Range("A2").Value = "Blue"
Range("A3").Value = "Green"

End Sub

When it comes to "Add(0, 76.5, 96, 15.75)"
Starting from the top left corner of the page,
"0" = how far over
"76.5" = how far down
"96" = Length
"15.75" = Height

You'll probably need to adjust these numbers to suit your worksheet.
This isn't a very detailed explanation, but it should set you on th
right track... - Piku

Tom Ogilvy

Dynamically adding an in-cell drop-down list (i.e. Validation Object) to a cell?

possibly try this (delete any existing validation)

Sub AAAtest()
With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A7").Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, Formula1:="Red,Green,Blue"
End With

End Sub

Pikus is showing how to add a combobox from the forms menu. This doesn't
have anything to do with data validation.

Tom Ogilvy

debartsa wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I'm using Excel 97 with VBA to dynamically add a Validation object to
cell("A7").
My goal is to have an in-Cell dropdown list display when a user selects

the
cell...

With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A7").Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, Formula1:="Red,Green,Blue"
End With

I get a Run-time error='1004' Application Defined or object-defined

error?

Can I dynamically add a in-cell drop down list to a cell?

Thanks for any help!
Sam

debartsa

Dynamically adding an in-cell drop-down list (i.e. Validation Object) to a cell?

Thanks for your help folks! I'll give them both a try.

"debartsa" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I'm using Excel 97 with VBA to dynamically add a Validation object to
cell("A7").
My goal is to have an in-Cell dropdown list display when a user selects

the
cell...

With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A7").Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, Formula1:="Red,Green,Blue"
End With

I get a Run-time error='1004' Application Defined or object-defined

error?

Can I dynamically add a in-cell drop down list to a cell?

Thanks for any help!
Sam

wailoon

Dynamically adding an in-cell drop-down list (i.e. Validation Object) to a cell?

Hi Tom Ogilvy,

I am having the same problem as debartsa but I'm using Excel XP. I hav
been searching for quite some time and try many options but still can'
solve it, this is my code

1 With sheet1.Range("E3").Validation
3 .Add Type:=xlValidateList, Formula1:="a,b,c,d"
4 .IgnoreBlank = True
5 .InCellDropdown = True
6 End With

I keep getting "Run-time error='1004' Application Defined o
object-defined error" on the line that adds type (line 3). However, i
I move .IgnoreBlank (line 4)or .IncellDropDown (line 5) statement t
above .add Type... (line 3) I get the same error on those statements.

Appreciate if you could help fix this problem.
Thanks

wailoo

fnkleroi

Dynamically adding an in-cell drop-down list (i.e. Validation Object) to a cell?

Alright it this seemed to work, thank you Tom.

Range(strAccuracyLevelAdrs).Value = ""
With Range(strAccuracyLevelAdrs).Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop, _
Formula1:=strEngineering1 & "," & strEngineering2
"," & strEngineering3
End With
Range(strAccuracyLevelAdrs).Select

Thank you.

Fnkleroi

"debartsa" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

I'm using Excel 97 with VBA to dynamically add a Validation objec

cell("A7").
My goal is to have an in-Cell dropdown list display when a use

selects
the
cell...

With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A7").Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateList, Formula1:="Red,Green,Blue"
End With

I get a Run-time error='1004' Application Defined o

object-defined
error?

Can I dynamically add a in-cell drop down list to a cell?

Thanks for any help!
Sam

-
fnklero