-   -   see if dynamic array used (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/288225-see-if-dynamic-array-used.html)

RobcPettit

see if dynamic array used

Im checking 1 file against another (the files contain names). File 1 is up to
date names and file 2 is 5 days behind. Basically both files should be
identical, but occasionally a new name is added to file 1. What Im doing is
comparing files and any names that are in file 1 but not in file 2 are added to
a dynamic array, then listed to a column. No problems here. My problem is if no
new names are added, the array is not used. How do I check if an array is not
used.
If DnExist(1) < "" Then
Application.Goto Reference:="Dates2" ' pastes list of names not in File 2 into
dates sheet
Range("d8").Resize(UBound(DnExist)) = Application.Transpose(DnExist).
This works if there are new names if not I get Subscript out of range. Ive
tried if array empty as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards Robert

KJTFS[_38_]

see if dynamic array used

error check the ubound of the array

dim intTemp as integer
dim bolNothing as boolean

bolNothing = false
on error goto OutOfBounds
intTemp = ubound(array)
on error goto 0
if bolnothing = true then
''do what you need to do when nothing in array
endif
'''proced with code if there is stuff in array

OutOfBounds:
'''Your array has nothing
bolNothing = true
resume next

Keith
www.kjtfs.com

---

RobcPettit

see if dynamic array used

Keith, thankyou for reply. Ill put this to good use. This also shows me a
little bit more about working with arrays.
Regards Robert