-   -   Make 2 long columns into 8 shorter columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/286084-make-2-long-columns-into-8-shorter-columns.html)

Mike Fogleman

Make 2 long columns into 8 shorter columns

I have 2 long columns of numbers on sheet1, columns A&B, sorted descending
by column A. The number of rows of data will vary according to what is
imported. I want to put them on sheet2 for printout, in the same order but
as 8 columns wide, starting at B5. Basically it is a copy/paste the first
1/4th of sheet1, columns A:B to sheet2 B5. Then the second 1/4th of sheet1
to sheet2 E5, etc. Any ideas on how to get this started would be greatly
appreciated.
TIA, Mike

shockley

Make 2 long columns into 8 shorter columns

Mike,

Start by counting the number of rows in the source list (call this number
RowCount) and divide this number by 4. The first 3 'quarters' will have a
column length (ColLength) of

Int(RowCount/4).

The last 'quarter' will have a column length of

RowCount - 3*ColLength

Using these numbers, define the 4 ranges as rngSource1, rngSource2, ....
Do the same to define the destination ranges: rngDest1, rngDest2, ....

So, for example, if the original list has 17 rows, then ColLength will be 4
and the last column will have a length of 5.
rngSource1 will be Range(Cells(1,1), Cells(4,2)) and rngDest1 will be
Range(Cells(5,2), Cells(8,3)).

You can right this code like this:

With Sheets(1)
Set rngSource1 = Range(.Cells(1,1), .Cells(4,2))
End With
With Sheets(2)
Set rngDest1 = Range(.Cells(5,2), .Cells(8,3))
End With

Then "copy" the ranges using

rngDest1.Value = rngSource.Value

HTH,