-   -   security for my macros (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/286073-security-my-macros.html)

Steel.Detailer

security for my macros

Is there a way of creating a "license code" for a workbook
I've created with some pretty intensive macro and cell
programming?

I'd like to include the workbook with some AutoCAD tools
I've created and sell the whole package for a small fee.
I made a license chacking function for the AutoCAD tools,
but would like to "protect" the workbook, too.

TIA
Rich

J.E. McGimpsey

security for my macros

The bottom line is that any protection you put on your workbook will
be ineffective at keeping a moderately clever user out of your
workbook, worksheets and code. You'd do better to compile your code
into a COM add-in.

Even in workbooks with file passwords, a hex editor can expose your
VBA code. It's tokenized, so it's not directly human readable, but
it's usually not too hard to reconstruct.