-   -   OLE Automation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/284754-ole-automation.html)

Bob C.

OLE Automation

I have developed many applications using both Access and Excel as the base platform to automatically generate reports in Word using OLE Automation. I have noticed that repeated attempts to run the automatic report generator from either Access or Excel result in automation errors. These errors can only be fixed by re-booting the computer. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to prevent these automation errors? They can be a real nuisance?

Bill Manville

OLE Automation

Bob C. wrote:
I have noticed that repeated attempts to run the automatic report generator
from either Access or Excel result in automation errors.
These errors can only be fixed by re-booting the computer.

Try monitoring using Resource Meter or similar as you run the reports.
I have experienced resource leaks when using automation to Word to create reports.
I seem to recall getting an improvement by closing Word every N reports and re-opening it
(but that could have been in an old version and no longer necessary).

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup