-   -   Excel Programming (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/284477-re-excel-programming.html)

Dan Gorman

Excel Programming

That did the trick. One last problem: I want to search for a number
from a range of numbers in column 1 (or columns 1 and 2 of the data to
be retrieved and return the corresponding data in columns 2 and 3 (or 3
and 4).

How should the data to be retrieved be arranged on sheet 2? Should the
range (0 - 20,000) be in a single cell/column (column 1) or in separate
columns (0 in column 1 and 20,000 in column 2)? How then would the
vlookup formula be input on sheet 1? As before, the returned data will
be used in a mathematical formula from another cell.

Thank you.

Tom Ogilvy

Excel Programming

for ordered data in Sheet2, vlookup works with the row that contains a value
no higher than the searched for value. So if you want to look for a value
between 0 and 20000, you would put 0 in Cell A1, for 20001 to 40000, then
put 2001 in A2

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,1)

from help:

If VLOOKUP can't find lookup_value, and range_lookup is TRUE, it uses the
largest value that is less than or equal to lookup_value.

Tom Ogilvy

"Dan Gorman" wrote in message
That did the trick. One last problem: I want to search for a number
from a range of numbers in column 1 (or columns 1 and 2 of the data to
be retrieved and return the corresponding data in columns 2 and 3 (or 3
and 4).

How should the data to be retrieved be arranged on sheet 2? Should the
range (0 - 20,000) be in a single cell/column (column 1) or in separate
columns (0 in column 1 and 20,000 in column 2)? How then would the
vlookup formula be input on sheet 1? As before, the returned data will
be used in a mathematical formula from another cell.

Thank you.

Dan Gorman

Excel Programming

Tom:

I am trying to add a column of cells which show only round numbers (no
decimal places). For some reason, the result (also a round number)
shows the sum as if the numbers in the cells being added were not
rounded.

How can I configure things so that the sum total equals the correct
total of the rounded figures showing in the cells being added?

Thank you.

Dan Gorman