-   -   Calculations Return by SQL (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/284122-calculations-return-sql.html)

CST[_2_]

Calculations Return by SQL

Hi All,

Is it possible to return a custom calculation from SQL into a cell and
make it work? For example, I have columns A, B, C, D. I will return
values for A,B,and C, but for D I will return =A1+B1.

A B C D
1 2 3 3
2 2 8 4

In another scenario, D may be B + C

A B C D
1 2 3 5
2 2 8 10

I would like to make this dynamic enough where I would have to only
change the SQL vs changing the Excel Spreadsheet (distributing new one
everytime a calculation is changed). Right now, it returns the
following:
A B C D
1 2 3 =A1+B1
2 2 8 =A2+B2

The strange thing is that when I go into the cell, hit F2, then enter
it correctly calculates. I have tried using Application.CalculateFull
in VBA and also Ctrl + Alt + F9 in the worksheet itself, but both
methods don't seem to work.

TIA

Tom Ogilvy

Calculations Return by SQL

Sounds like your cells are formatted as Text. Try formatting them as
general - then to convert the existing formulas, select column D, do
Edit=Replace
What =
With =

This will cause excel to reevaluate the entries and treat them as formulas.

Tom Ogilvy

"CST" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Con Tang

Calculations Return by SQL

Hello Tom,

I don't think that it was a formatting issue, but the edit- replace
seems to have tricked Excel into re-evaluating the formulas. I think
that you have helped me out in the past and wanted to again thank you
for the help in the past and now.