-   -   Probably a stupid question..but Im just starting out (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/283861-probably-stupid-question-but-im-just-starting-out.html)

AlphaElyssia

Probably a stupid question..but Im just starting out

How would I write a function to tell me whether a number was 'high' ,
'medium' or 'low' according to my specifications of what a high, medium
or low figure was ( for example, exam marks where a low is below 40,
medium between 41 and 70 and high above 70)

No Name

Probably a stupid question..but Im just starting out

In the cell, try this (assume B1 is where the score is):

=If(B1<=40,"Low",If(B170,"High","Medium"))

How would I write a function to tell me whether a number

was 'high' ,
'medium' or 'low' according to my specifications of what

a high, medium
or low figure was ( for example, exam marks where a low

is below 40,
medium between 41 and 70 and high above 70)

~~View and post usenet messages directly from

http://www.ExcelForum.com/

.

AlphaElyssia[_2_]

Probably a stupid question..but Im just starting out

danke schon- but could i do it as a program not an if statement? Even i
its a long way to do it, I wanna impress said examiner ;)

Thanks loads though *:D

Paul B[_6_]

Probably a stupid question..but Im just starting out

Alpha, here is one way =IF(A170,"High",IF(A140,"Medium","Low"))

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"AlphaElyssia" wrote in message

How would I write a function to tell me whether a number was 'high' ,
'medium' or 'low' according to my specifications of what a high, medium
or low figure was ( for example, exam marks where a low is below 40,
medium between 41 and 70 and high above 70)

Trevor Shuttleworth

Probably a stupid question..but Im just starting out

Try this:

Function HighLow(ByRef InputCell As Range)
If Not WorksheetFunction.IsNumber(InputCell.Value) Then
HighLow = "Not Numeric"
Exit Function
End If
Select Case InputCell.Value
Case Is < 41: HighLow = "Low"
Case 41 To 70: HighLow = "Medium"
Case Is 70: HighLow = "High"
Case Else
End Select
End Function

Regards

Trevor

danke schon- but could i do it as a program not an if statement? Even if