-   -   Macros in this project are disabled (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/283725-macros-project-disabled.html)

Ceej

Macros in this project are disabled

I have created a simple macro to copy and format some data
from one spreadsheet to another.

Somehow, when I now open the .xls file with the macros, I
DO NOT get the message that I normally got: "There are
macros in this file, do you want to enable or disable
them."

However, when I try to run the macro (through an
I get the following error Visual Basic Error Message: "The
macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the
online help or documentation of the host application to
determine how to enable macros." However, when I stop
recording, a new macro appears in the list of macros
(which I cannot edit or run).

Excel documentation has nothing that seems to help. The
only references that I can find are related to the warning
window when excel finds macros (that I noted above that I
do not get now when I open the file).

If I go to Tools|Macro|Macros I find:
1. the name listed as worksheetname.xls!Module1.macroname
instead of just macroname
2. Edit, Create, Delete, Options are all greyed out.

However, I can go to Tools|Macro|VisualBasicEditor and the
macro pops up in the VB editor.
But I cannot find anything that indicates any "disabled"
state.

If I try "Record Macro" in a new file, it seems to work.
If I try to "Record Macro" in the file that has macros
disabled, I get the stop-recording window, but when I try
to do anything in the spreadsheet (e.g. type text in a
cell) I get Excel Error: "Cannot run Visual Basic macro
because of a syntax error."

Note, I am running Office 2000 under XP Home.
Other accounts do not seem to be affected (they still
operate as I did, prior to whatever "happened" to me).
If I access the spreadsheet with the macro from another
account, it runs as expected (excel shows the warning
window about macros, and if I click enable, then I can run
the macro).

Anyone got any suggestions?

If you reply to the list, I'd also appreciate it if you
could cc: my email address as well -

Thanks,
-ceej

PS
At one point I made the following change to the
Tools|Options|General tab.
I changed the default file location from MyDocuments to
Desktop and added MyDocuments as the alternate startup
location. This caused a different set of problems
whenever excel was opened, even just a blank new file.
(It was trying to open folders in MyDocuments as files) I
have since reverted to the original values and those
problems cleared up immediately.

No Name

Macros in this project are disabled

Enable Macro virus protection in Tools Options General
Settings.

AV

[...]

.

No Name

Macros in this project are disabled

Turn Tolols-Macro-Security Level to 'Medium'.