-   -   VLOOKUP : how to use defined name in it (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/283330-vlookup-how-use-defined-name.html)

JUlie

VLOOKUP : how to use defined name in it

Good day everybody,

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have several data area defined with names, e.g. USA,
ASIA, CHINA.

I have a cell that will be filled with the data area name.
This cell is named as DATAAREA.

I will look up data in required data area with VLOOKUP
command.

=VLOOKUP(A3,dataarea,5,FALSE)

If in my DATAAREA is USA, this VLOOKUP is suppose to
lookup USA defined area to get the sales amount in column
5. But I could not get it working. I get #N/A which I
believe it read the cell DATAAREA instead of USA.

Please advise how to get it right.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Julie

A.W.J. Ales

VLOOKUP : how to use defined name in it

Julie,

Use VLOOKUP(A3,indirect(dataarea),5,FALSE)
in stead of VLOOKUP(A3,dataarea,5,FALSE)

Auk Ales

* Please reply to this newsgroup only *
* I will not react on unsolicited e-mails *

"Julie" wrote in message
Good day everybody,

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have several data area defined with names, e.g. USA,
ASIA, CHINA.

I have a cell that will be filled with the data area name.
This cell is named as DATAAREA.

I will look up data in required data area with VLOOKUP
command.

=VLOOKUP(A3,dataarea,5,FALSE)

If in my DATAAREA is USA, this VLOOKUP is suppose to
lookup USA defined area to get the sales amount in column
5. But I could not get it working. I get #N/A which I
believe it read the cell DATAAREA instead of USA.

Please advise how to get it right.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Julie