-   -   Calculate cell reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/282322-calculate-cell-reference.html)

Jesse Wiggins

Calculate cell reference

I need to calculate a cell reference with a formula.

For instance:

Instead of using
=D6
I need to have excel calculate the '6' portion -- like this
=D&(COUNTIF(D6:D32,"<50"))
so it will use the result of the function to determine the cell number.

I have not been able to successfully reference a cell using a formula. Is
this even possible?

Thanks,
Jesse

Don Guillett[_4_]

Calculate cell reference

have a look at INDIRECT function

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jesse Wiggins" wrote in message
I need to calculate a cell reference with a formula.

For instance:

Instead of using
=D6
I need to have excel calculate the '6' portion -- like this
=D&(COUNTIF(D6:D32,"<50"))
so it will use the result of the function to determine the cell number.

I have not been able to successfully reference a cell using a formula. Is
this even possible?

Thanks,
Jesse

Jesse Wiggins

Calculate cell reference

Don,

My ultimate goal is to have a graph query cells to find whether they meet a
certain criteria to determine the 'data range' in the graph. I cannot seem
to get the 'Source Data' window to let me use the INDIRECT function when
defining a 'Data range'. I get the 'Reference is not valid.' error.

My data range looks like this:
=INDIRECT(Data!$F$25)

Where F25 is a cell that calculates whether the values in a group of cells
is "<50".

The funny thing is that even though I get an invalid reference error, the
graph preview displays correctly! Very aggrivating.

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
have a look at INDIRECT function

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jesse Wiggins" wrote in message
I need to calculate a cell reference with a formula.

For instance:

Instead of using
=D6
I need to have excel calculate the '6' portion -- like this
=D&(COUNTIF(D6:D32,"<50"))
so it will use the result of the function to determine the cell number.

I have not been able to successfully reference a cell using a formula.

Is
this even possible?

Thanks,
Jesse

Edward[_6_]

Calculate cell reference

Jesse, you can use the INDIRECT worksheet function.

For example:

If the value of A1 = 2, and the value of B2 = 100, then:

=INDIRECT("B"&$A$1) Value of a reference in cell A1 would
give you 100.

.