-   -   Creating something like a file manager in Explorer with Excel Dara (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/281928-creating-something-like-file-manager-explorer-excel-dara.html)

Sanjay1365

Creating something like a file manager in Explorer with Excel Dara

I have 4 columns of data. The first is labeled "Category", next is "SubCateogory", and so on. I want to create something like what you see in Windows explorer that allows a user to expand a particular "Category" and see all the "SubCategory" values, and then click a "SubCategory" and see the "Products"...how do you do this???

Chip Pearson

Creating something like a file manager in Explorer with Excel Dara

Sanjay,

You can use a TreeView control to do this.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Sanjay1365" wrote in message
I have 4 columns of data. The first is labeled "Category", next is

"SubCateogory", and so on. I want to create something like what you see in
Windows explorer that allows a user to expand a particular "Category" and
see all the "SubCategory" values, and then click a "SubCategory" and see the
"Products"...how do you do this???

Sanjay1365[_2_]

Creating something like a file manager in Explorer with Excel Dara

Chip - I dont really know what TreeView is...typed it in help and looked up in glossary of my fat Excel book to no avail...I appreciate your help

Tom Ogilvy

Creating something like a file manager in Explorer with Excel Dara

the treeview control is distributed with VB6 and the developer edition of
Office.

Tom Ogilvy

Sanjay1365 wrote in message
Chip - I dont really know what TreeView is...typed it in help and looked

up in glossary of my fat Excel book to no avail...I appreciate your help

Tom Ogilvy

Creating something like a file manager in Explorer with Excel Dara

You could do this with group and outline under the data menu although you
would need to do the clicking in the outline area at the left of the sheet.
See Excel help.

It basically hides and unhides rows.

Tmo Ogilvy

Sanjay1365 wrote in message
I have 4 columns of data. The first is labeled "Category", next is

"SubCateogory", and so on. I want to create something like what you see in
Windows explorer that allows a user to expand a particular "Category" and
see all the "SubCategory" values, and then click a "SubCategory" and see the
"Products"...how do you do this???

SANJAY1365

Creating something like a file manager in Explorer with Excel Dara

Thanks Tom - I am plaing around with it right now (Group/Outline). It's not intuitive but I'll take a stab...