-   -   Tracing method calls (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/281719-tracing-method-calls.html)

Jamie Martin[_2_]

Tracing method calls

Hi,

Rather than getting every detail about variables' values et cetera, I would
like to use the debugger to show the chain of methods I call, for example
(Java syntax), "main" calls "run" which calls "process_char" repeatedly then
calls "clean_up" then returns to "main." I am looking at someone else's
large program and having trouble following it. Is there a way to do this?

THanks,

Jamie

Bob Kilmer

Tracing method calls

You can view the call stack (View menu, Ctrl+L, or icon on Debug toolbar)
but there is no other trace functionality built into the IDE, even in Visual
Studio. I have been known to write print statements (Debug.Print "...") into
complicated code I needed to trace or to track events whose order I wasn't
sure about. It is not too awfully difficult to write code that will insert
code (e.g., print statements) into every procedure throughout a project.

--
Bob Kilmer