-   -   Help in classific a group of numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/281536-help-classific-group-numbers.html)

Lawrence[_4_]

Help in classific a group of numbers

Dear all,

I would like to have you help.

For instance, I have a group of numbers (not in sequence) in Column A.
In Column B, I would like to classific the biggest number to be "1",
second biggest to be "2", and so on. However, I don't want to just
"sort" Column A and use "max" to find the biggest. Please help to
suggest some more smart way.

Someting like below.
A____B
10___5
62___1
39___2
18___4
27___3
27___3
8____6

Thanks a lot.
Lawrence

RADO[_3_]

Help in classific a group of numbers

Use function RANK (see help for more info)

"Lawrence" wrote in message

Dear all,

I would like to have you help.

For instance, I have a group of numbers (not in sequence) in Column A.
In Column B, I would like to classific the biggest number to be "1",
second biggest to be "2", and so on. However, I don't want to just
"sort" Column A and use "max" to find the biggest. Please help to
suggest some more smart way.

Someting like below.
A____B
10___5
62___1
39___2
18___4
27___3
27___3
8____6

Thanks a lot.
Lawrence

Lawrence[_5_]

Help in classific a group of numbers

Thanks RADO

but RANK gives duplicate numbers the same rank. The presence of
duplicate numbers affects the ranks of subsequent numbers. For example,
in a list of integers, if the number 10 appears twice and has a rank of
5, then 11 would have a rank of 7 (no number would have a rank of 6).

Please advise.

Chip Pearson

Help in classific a group of numbers

Lawrence,

See the Unique Ranks section at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rank.htm .

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Lawrence" wrote in message

Thanks RADO

but RANK gives duplicate numbers the same rank. The presence of
duplicate numbers affects the ranks of subsequent numbers. For example,
in a list of integers, if the number 10 appears twice and has a rank of
5, then 11 would have a rank of 7 (no number would have a rank of 6).

Please advise.

~~ Message posted from
http://www.ExcelTip.com/