-   -   File Read-Only Status (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/281302-file-read-only-status.html)

Nigel[_5_]

File Read-Only Status

I have an application where a number of network connected users that might
want to open it. If the application is already in use, then as normal the
new user is told it is in use and they can open it as 'read-only'. This is
OK but is there a way in VBA to detect that the file is open as read-only
which I can use to prevent changes and saving of this version of the file ?

TIA
Nigel

GB[_3_]

File Read-Only Status

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have an application where a number of network connected users that might
want to open it. If the application is already in use, then as normal the
new user is told it is in use and they can open it as 'read-only'. This

is
OK but is there a way in VBA to detect that the file is open as read-only
which I can use to prevent changes and saving of this version of the file

?

TIA
Nigel

I think you are looking for

Thisworkbook.Readonly

Geoff

JON JON

File Read-Only Status

Choose to any sample line of code

If ThisWorkbook.ReadOnly = False Then MsgBox "Read\write"
If ActiveWorkbook.ReadOnly = False Then MsgBox "Read\write"
If Workbooks("Book2.xls").ReadOnly = False Then sgBox "Read\write"

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have an application where a number of network connected users that might
want to open it. If the application is already in use, then as normal the
new user is told it is in use and they can open it as 'read-only'. This

is
OK but is there a way in VBA to detect that the file is open as read-only
which I can use to prevent changes and saving of this version of the file

?

TIA
Nigel

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Nigel[_5_]

File Read-Only Status

Thanka guys for the tips. Secondary question, when the file is already
open, the message the use gets includes an option to choose either read-only
or read-olny and advise when remote user releases the file. Can the later
be intercepted ?

Cheers
Nigel

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have an application where a number of network connected users that

might
want to open it. If the application is already in use, then as normal

the
new user is told it is in use and they can open it as 'read-only'. This

is
OK but is there a way in VBA to detect that the file is open as

read-only
which I can use to prevent changes and saving of this version of the

file
?

TIA
Nigel

News==----

Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=---