-   -   Making arrays outside cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/280752-making-arrays-outside-cells.html)

tclohesy

Making arrays outside cells

I am making a function which involves a LOOKUP, but I am trying to take
all the formulas out of the cells by putting them as names. Is it
possible to replace a list in an array of cells with a single name?

Eg, if I have =LOOKUP(input,check_list,output)

I can make check_list and output refer to a range, but not connected to
cells in the worksheet.

Also, does anyone know of a good link for a comprehensive tutorial with
VBA custom functions. I've seen the one on this site, and although
it's useful it doesn't go very far...

Thanks,

Tony

Tom Ogilvy

Making arrays outside cells

Range and cells in the worksheet are equivalent. It is unclear what you
are asking.

You can put formulas in defined names, but it is pretty hard to work with,
so I don't think I would do it until I knew all my formulas were in their
final form.

There isn't a whole lot of mystery to User defined functions. A
comprehensive tutorial would be about two or three paragraphs.

Tom Ogilvy

"tclohesy" wrote in message
I am making a function which involves a LOOKUP, but I am trying to take
all the formulas out of the cells by putting them as names. Is it
possible to replace a list in an array of cells with a single name?

Eg, if I have =LOOKUP(input,check_list,output)

I can make check_list and output refer to a range, but not connected to
cells in the worksheet.

Also, does anyone know of a good link for a comprehensive tutorial with
VBA custom functions. I've seen the one on this site, and although
it's useful it doesn't go very far...

Thanks,

Tony

tclohesy[_2_]