-   -   Searching text in cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/279468-searching-text-cells.html)

troistr

Searching text in cells

Hi, I have been putting together a program for the past
year in vb/excel and I am stuck on the last macro to put
this whole thing to bed. Here is the problem:
On one worksheet there is a range of cells that has
comments. cell(A1) (ei "3wd, rounding corner")
I need to look into each cell and determine whether a
portion of the cell contains certain words or abreviations
(ie "3wd","steadied","std","5wd") and then assigning a
variable a value.
I have tried making a function with TextCompare but keep
running into errors. Recording a "Find" macro puts me
into another whirlwind. It seems to easy to be this hard.
Either I am getting old or losing my mind. Thank you in
advance for your help.

[email protected]

Searching text in cells

This is untested. Watch for linewrap. Not sure whether you are
searching comments or cells. Also not sure how many cells you wish to
search. I have no idea what you mean by 'then assigning a
variable a value'. But this should push you in one direction.

Sub FindPhrase()

Dim intI as Integer
Dim rngC as Range, rngCom as Range
Dim rngFound as Range
Dim varArray As Variant

varArray = Array("3wd","steadied","std","5wd")
Set rngCom = Range(YourRangeToSearch)

For intI = LBound(varArray) To UBound(varArray)

For Each rngC In rngCom
Set rngFound = rngC.Find(What:=varArray(intI),
Lookat:=xlPart,Lookin:=xlFormulas)
' Set rngFound = rngC.Find(What:=varArray(intI),
'Lookat:=xlPart,LookIn:=xlComments)
If Not rngFound Is Nothing Then
rngC.Font.ColorIndex=3
End If
Next rngC

HTH
Paul
Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes.