-   -   home delivery db (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/278934-home-delivery-db.html)

jbabb

home delivery db

I am trying to process home delivery orders in excel.. I
made a page where when I imput the tel. no. of the
client, his information, if exists, is brought to this
screen form a given db, but I am using FOR and NEXT with
a variable to look for the inputed tel no. in the db in
the correspondin column, the variable being the row no.,
once it is found I bring the rest of the info. to the
main page(address, name, etc.)

I cant use vlookup because if the client does not exist
the cells must be filled by hand, in doing so, I would
erase the vlookp formula.

It is working, the problem is that now it takes quite a
while to find a client since my db is bigger now.

Is there a faster command in excel vb to do this? if so,
how?

Please respond to

thanks
..

Tom Ogilvy

home delivery db

you might load your db into an array and search the array - or you might
preprocess your db to put selected information in an array, organized to
support fast retrieval/query.

There are many algorithms for doing searches besides doing a for - next loop
through all your data. Binary search comes to mind, but your data (which
may be an extract of your database) would need to be sorted.

Tom Ogilvy

"jbabb" wrote in message
I am trying to process home delivery orders in excel.. I
made a page where when I imput the tel. no. of the
client, his information, if exists, is brought to this
screen form a given db, but I am using FOR and NEXT with
a variable to look for the inputed tel no. in the db in
the correspondin column, the variable being the row no.,
once it is found I bring the rest of the info. to the
main page(address, name, etc.)

I cant use vlookup because if the client does not exist
the cells must be filled by hand, in doing so, I would
erase the vlookp formula.

It is working, the problem is that now it takes quite a
while to find a client since my db is bigger now.

Is there a faster command in excel vb to do this? if so,
how?

Please respond to

thanks
.

BrianB

home delivery db

Have a look at Find. Type Find in the VB editor then press your F1 key to get Help.

Regards
BrianB