-   -   Can't get connection string right (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/278540-re-cant-get-connection-string-right.html)

Frank Isaacs

Can't get connection string right

Perhaps you need to break up the string. Looking at an example from the KB,
both .Provider and .ConnectionString properties are set:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...19&Product=xlw

--
HTH -

-Frank Isaacs
Dolphin Technology Corp.
http://vbapro.com

"Brad Wood" wrote in message
I use the following connection string in ADO objects
outside of Excel to connect to a SQLServer database and
run commands and it works fine:

"Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=[];Persist Security
Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=poptart;Data
Source=BWOOD\TROGDOR_DB"

When I set the connection string of an ADODB.Connection to
this and try to run a command, I get the error
message, "Requested operation requires an OLE DB Session
object, which is not supported by the current provider"

Anyone know why/what to change?

Robin Hammond

Can't get connection string right

From experience you might want to try installing MDAC2.8. We've had trouble
with strange behaviour on various machines, particularly Win2000 using
earlier versions.

It is an easy install but a complex package, and tracking down problems was
a nightmare until we moved up a version.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com
Check out our XspandXL add-in