-   -   Variable Control Names (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/278525-variable-control-names.html)

Garry Jones

Variable Control Names

Within a user form I am trying to reduce the amount of code needed to
enter text into text box

I have two text boxes. TextBox1 and TextBox2

When Command Button 1 is clicked I want the result
TextBox1.Text = "This is my test text"

When Command Button 2 is clicked I want the result
TextBox2.Text = "This is my test text"

But I wish to use the same piece of code for both examples.

I am missing something here. This is my test example.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
setar (1)
'when Command Button 1 is clicked it sends the number 1 as a variable to
the code

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
setar (2)
'when Command Button 2 is clicked it sends the number 2 as a variable to
the code

Private Sub setar(ArgValue As Integer)
TextBoxArgValue.Text = "This is my test text"
'Missing something here
End Sub

Bottom Line
-----------

How do I get Argvalue to place itself between the x of TextBoxand the .

?

On a similar note, how do I add this number mid text?

When Command Button 1 is clicked I want the result
TextBox1.Text = "This is my test 1 text"

When Command Button 2 is clicked I want the result
TextBox2.Text = "This is my test 2 text"

Garry Jones
Sweden

PS, Yes I know I can get the same effect by using unique code in each
command button control. But I have 198 command buttons so I want to use
the same code 198 times.

Anders S

Variable Control Names

Garry,

Try this for a start:

'--------
Private Sub setar(ArgValue As Integer)
Dim boxName As String
boxName = "Textbox" & ArgValue
Me.Controls(boxName).Value = boxName
End Sub
'--------

HTH
Anders Silvén

"Garry Jones" skrev i meddelandet
[...]

Mark Bigelow

Variable Control Names

Try this:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
setar (1)
'when Command Button 1 is clicked it sends the number 1 as a variable to
the code

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
setar (2)
'when Command Button 2 is clicked it sends the number 2 as a variable to
the code

Private Sub setar(ArgValue as Integer)
UserForm1.Controls("TextBox" & ArgValue).Text = "This is my test text"
'Missing something here
End Sub

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Mark

---
Mark Bigelow
mjbigelow at hotmail dot com
http://hm.imperialoiltx.com

Garry Jones

Variable Control Names

Mark Bigelow wrote:

Let me know if that doesn't work.

It worked, thanks. (Thanks to Anders as well).

Okay, next problem, similar.

I want to decide which worksheet to name with a variable

What am I missing here?

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
setar (1)
'when Command Button 1 is clicked it sends the number 1 as a variable to
the code

Private Sub setar(ArgValue as Integer)
("Sheet" & ArgValue).Name = "NewName"
'Missing something here

What I want from the code is is

Sheet1.Name = "NewName"

Garry Jones

Anders S

Variable Control Names

Here's one way:

'-------
Sub setar(ArgValue As Integer)
Worksheets("Sheet" & ArgValue).Name = "NewName"
End Sub
'-------