-   -   can one write one's own Excel Function? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/278285-can-one-write-ones-own-excel-function.html)

Elliott Baral

can one write one's own Excel Function?

Can one write one's own Excel Function?
For example, suppose I've got calendar dates in one column,
and I want to translate them to Italian in another column.
The Italian translation should change automatically when
I change the calendar date. The "Italian column" would be
coded something like =Italian(F3).

Is there any way to do this?

- Elliott Baral

Bob Phillips[_5_]

can one write one's own Excel Function?

Elliott,

Yes, just call the procedure Function instead of Sub. A simple example is

Function inc(rng as Range)

if rng.Count 1 Then
CvErr(xlErrValue)
Exit Function
End If

inc= rng.Value + 1

End Function

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Elliott Baral" wrote in message
Can one write one's own Excel Function?
For example, suppose I've got calendar dates in one column,
and I want to translate them to Italian in another column.
The Italian translation should change automatically when
I change the calendar date. The "Italian column" would be
coded something like =Italian(F3).

Is there any way to do this?

- Elliott Baral

Bob L.

can one write one's own Excel Function?

Yes, of course. For example open VBA, insert a module and then insert this
in the module

Function french(myword)
Select Case myword
Case Is = "oui"