-   -   Tooltips (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/277602-tooltips.html)

David

Tooltips

Can a tooltip be added to a button on a custom toolbar in
Excel?

zantor[_13_]

Tooltips

Hi David,

Do the following:

1) Right click on your custom toolbar and select 'Customize'.
2) Right click the button on your toolbar that you want to set the
tooltip.
3) Under "Name:" type in your tooltip.
4) Close the "Customize" window and test it...

Cheers
Zantor

keepITcool

Tooltips

it's a standard property of a commandbar control.

normally when you set the caption of a commandbarcontrol this is copied
to the tooltiptext, but you can subsequently set the tooltiptext
seperately.

This does not apply to controls on a worksheet.

You could enter a comment in the cell below the control.
I've used BottomRightCell to avoid overlap (Z-order) problems.
but TopLeftCell.Offset(,1) should work as well. Depends on sizing.

Private Sub CommandButton2_GotFocus()
Me.CommandButton2.BottomRightCell.Comment.Visible = True
End Sub
Private Sub CommandButton2_LostFocus()
Me.CommandButton2.BottomRightCell.Comment.Visible = False
End Sub

Following wont work with the controls you want, but may be an
alternative:

if you just want a handy tooltip in a cell..
you can set a "dummy" data validation with just the "input message" tab
filled in. then.. when a user activates that cell he gets the message :)

keepITcool

"David" wrote:

Can a tooltip be added to a button on a custom toolbar in
Excel?

David WIlliamson

Tooltips

Should there be a 'caption' option when a tooltip on a custom toolbar is
right clicked in customised mode?

The options I am getting in Excel 2002 a

Reset, Delete, Name, Copy Button Image, Paste Button Image,
Edit Button Image, Change Button Image,
Default Style, Text Only (Always), Text Only (In Menus),
Image and Text, Begin a Group, Assign Hyperlink, Assign Macro.

David

Tom Ogilvy

Tooltips

Zantor already told you to use the Name