-   -   Argument List Of ActiveChart.Location And ActiveChart.ChartType (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/275826-argument-list-activechart-location-activechart-charttype.html)

Mo[_3_]

Argument List Of ActiveChart.Location And ActiveChart.ChartType

This is just a matter of personal style and idle curiousity. Why is
it that some functions need a parameter list like "Whe=" inside the
brackets and others you just specify the parameter like
"xlColumnClustered". I guess my question is what is the purpose of
the ":=" and is there a workaround so the parmeter list looks like
Function(arg1, arg2,...) instead of Function(Whe=arg1,
Location:=arg2,...)

Any help would be appreciated...Mo.

Vasant Nanavati[_2_]

Argument List Of ActiveChart.Location And ActiveChart.ChartType

Hi Mo:

If you are using named arguments (the ones using :=), you only need to list
the ones that you want to specify, in any order whatever. If you are not
using named arguments, you need to provide all the arguments to the
function. This is generally correct although there are a few little quirks.

This post by Chip Pearson should clear it up for you.

http://google.com/groups?selm=e133J%...gp13.phx. gbl

"Mo" wrote in message
om...
This is just a matter of personal style and idle curiousity. Why is
it that some functions need a parameter list like "Whe=" inside the
brackets and others you just specify the parameter like
"xlColumnClustered". I guess my question is what is the purpose of
the ":=" and is there a workaround so the parmeter list looks like
Function(arg1, arg2,...) instead of Function(Whe=arg1,
Location:=arg2,...)

Any help would be appreciated...Mo.

Tom Ogilvy

Argument List Of ActiveChart.Location And ActiveChart.ChartType

You can use named argument or you can provide the arguments in an ordered,
comma separated list.

As far as I know, there is no function that requires one or the other - the
each will accept either.

by using a named list, you don't have to remember the order and you don't
have to supply optional arguments (or mark their position).

Tom Ogilvy

om...