-   -   Function to change text to formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/275420-function-change-text-formula.html)

Michael Beckinsale

Function to change text to formula

Hi,

I am creating a spreadsheet which links to many other files in different
directories.

The user selects the files and the pathsnames etc are returned using
"GetOpenFilename".

My idea was to concatenate the filepath with the worksheet name and cell
reference to create a formula. If l copy and pastespecial values the
concatenated result into a new cell then using edit place = in front all
works OK. I can also write VBA code to achieve same but there are too many
cells to make it feasable.

Is there or does anybody know the code to create a function that will take
text and convert to a formula.

Any suggestions would be great.

Regards

Michael beckinsale.

Tom Ogilvy

Function to change text to formula

There is no such built in function for linking to closed workbooks. For
open workbooks, you can use the Indirect formula.

I don't understand how too many cells is an issue with using a macro. A
macro can perform the same repetitive action on all your cells - perhaps you
could elaborate.

Tom Ogilvy