-   -   Automatically runing a macro (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/275100-automatically-runing-macro.html)

Peter Longstaff

Automatically runing a macro

Hi All,

I am new to VBA so please forgive this rather simple question.

I have written a macro which calls a user form and I can fill in all of the
data and populate the worksheet as I requrie.

My problem is as follows. I have saved the worksheet as a template. I want
the macro to run the first time a new document is created based on the
template. How do I do that ?

TIA
Peter

Peter Longstaff

Automatically runing a macro

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in news:OtNqSOPaDHA.2632
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

Private sub Workbook_Open()
if thisworkbook.Path = "" then
mymacro
End if
End Sub

Hi Tom,

thanks for this but i do not know where to place this function. DO I place
it in the workbook or the specific sheet ?

TIA
Peter

steve

Automatically runing a macro

Tom,

Thanks! I like it!!! And I have just the place to use it...
I had been using a check on the workbook name, but this is more appropriate.
Should even work for workbooks that are sent via email.

--
sb
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Private sub Workbook_Open()
if thisworkbook.Path = "" then
mymacro
End if
End Sub

since the workbook won't have a path when it is created from the template,
this will only run during that one opening.

Tom Ogilvy

Peter Longstaff wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,

I am new to VBA so please forgive this rather simple question.

I have written a macro which calls a user form and I can fill in all of

the
data and populate the worksheet as I requrie.

My problem is as follows. I have saved the worksheet as a template. I

want
the macro to run the first time a new document is created based on the
template. How do I do that ?

TIA
Peter

steve

Automatically runing a macro

Peter,

The Workbook_Open goes into the ThisWorkbook module...

--
sb
"Peter Longstaff" wrote in message
. ..
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in news:OtNqSOPaDHA.2632
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

Private sub Workbook_Open()
if thisworkbook.Path = "" then
mymacro
End if
End Sub

Hi Tom,

thanks for this but i do not know where to place this function. DO I place
it in the workbook or the specific sheet ?

TIA
Peter

Peter Longstaff

Automatically runing a macro

Dave Peterson wrote in :

right click on the excel icon to the left of the File|Edit|View|...
menubar.

Select view code and paste it in that right hand window.

Your macro code should continue to live in a General module.

Peter Longstaff wrote:

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in news:OtNqSOPaDHA.2632
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

Private sub Workbook_Open()
if thisworkbook.Path = "" then
mymacro
End if
End Sub

Hi Tom,

thanks for this but i do not know where to place this function. DO I
place it in the workbook or the specific sheet ?

TIA
Peter

Thanks everyone, that has sorted it.
I owe you all one.