-   -   Changing security level (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/275079-re-changing-security-level.html)

Trevor Shuttleworth

Changing security level

PK

kind of Catch 22 really ... if the security level is high you don't get to
run a macro, if it's medium you have to confirm that you do. In either
case, you can't change the security level. That would rather defeat the
object of having a security level and be a hackers dream.

Regards

Trevor

"PK" wrote in message
Please help! I am using VBA in Excel XP with Windows 2000.

When you go to <Tools <Options then click the "Security"
tab and then click the "Macro Security" button, you are
presented with three levels of security for opening files.
High, Medium, and Low.

Using an "Auto_Open" macro or other method, is there a way
to programmatically drop someone's security level
from "High" to "Medium" or even to "Low"?

Your example code is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

steve

Changing security level

Trevor,

In later versions of Excel there is a self cert that you could check out.
It allows opening workbooks with (approved) code to open without the alarm.

There are also certificates that you can buy.

--
sb

"PK" wrote in message
Please help! I am using VBA in Excel XP with Windows 2000.

When you go to <Tools <Options then click the "Security"
tab and then click the "Macro Security" button, you are
presented with three levels of security for opening files.
High, Medium, and Low.

Using an "Auto_Open" macro or other method, is there a way
to programmatically drop someone's security level
from "High" to "Medium" or even to "Low"?

Your example code is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trevor Shuttleworth

Changing security level

Steve

I did try self certification at one point and it worked fine for my code on
my machine with me using it but I don't recall it working under other
circumstances. I also bought a digital certificate but I got a refund when
the company admitted it didn't work with VBA.

I didn't have a compelling need so I haven't pursued either option.

Regards

Trevor