-   -   Another ISERROR question... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/274929-re-another-iserror-question.html)

Virginia Morris

Another ISERROR question...

Adam -

I understand perfectly since I am also at the "swearing & throwing things"
stage. However:

First: it looks as tho your second IF is looking for a space character
rather than an empty cell - they're different. Have you tried something
like
IF(ISNUMBER(L9), L9/$K$5, "")
Then if there's a real live number in L9, you should get what you want;
otherwise, nothing in the cell.

Second: do you really want all of the $ signs in your first formula?
Because it's always looking up the same info?

Third: you probably want the newsgrp called worksheet.functions since it
looks like that's where you are in your Excelling -

Good luck -hopes this helps at least a little bit -
"Adam" wrote in message
om...
Allright this is what I am trying to do....

I have a small, one page database that is on a sheet called "crap".
On the next page (sheet 3) I am trying to recall the information that
I have typed into the database located on sheet "crap".

Allright, On sheet 3 (column "L") this is the formula that I am using
to recall some select information from sheet "crap"...:

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A9,crap!$A$5:$A$152,0)),"",VLOOK UP(A9,crap!$A$5:$M$152,3,0
))

(basically I type in a name in A9 and it pulls the corresponding
information and puts into that cell)

I know I know this is pretty basic stuff for most of you but it took
me a little while to figure it out...:)

The formula is working great...however, in another cell (column "M") I
have set the function (I stole the proceeding function from another
worksheet, so far much of my excel stuff has been stolen from here or
other places...I know I'm lame):

=IF(L9=" ","",L9/$K$5)

This works as long as the previous function brings up a number...if it
does not then I get the dreaded "#value". (sometimes the information
in that cell says "NA" and that is when it all hits the fan!)

I need a formula to go into column "M" that will basically leave
everything alone if the above "iserror" formula turns up "NA" (or
anything that is not a value)

I looked at possibly using something like this:
=IF(ISERROR(YourFormula),"";YourFormula)
but so far I have not been able to understand how to get it to work.

I am pretty new at this stuff so I appreciate any help you all might
have. I am also open to any websites or books that might be able to
help me along with this Excel stuff..:)

thanks,

Adam

p.s. I am sure that was not as clear as it would be from someone who
knew what the heck they were talking about, If I have left anything
important out I will be happy to add it.