-   -   controlling another program from Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/273273-re-controlling-another-program-excel.html)

Steve Smallman

controlling another program from Excel

Charlie,

have you tried opening the files from in Excel. It would save a lot of
trouble, and simplify the resulting code a great deal.

Try recording a macro to open the works sheet and then save as excel file.

Steve
"Charlie" wrote in message
Is it possible to control another program from within an Excel macro?
What I'm thinking of is converting a lot of MS Works spreadsheets to
Excel. To do this I open Works, load a spreadsheet, and then save it
as an Excel file. There don't seem to be any macro capability within
Works, so if I could do this from Excel VBA, I think I could automate
the entire process.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid

Charlie[_3_]

controlling another program from Excel

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:06:10 GMT, "Steve Smallman"
wrote:

Charlie,

have you tried opening the files from in Excel. It would save a lot of
trouble, and simplify the resulting code a great deal.

Try recording a macro to open the works sheet and then save as excel file.

Steve
"Charlie" wrote in message
.. .
Is it possible to control another program from within an Excel macro?
What I'm thinking of is converting a lot of MS Works spreadsheets to
Excel. To do this I open Works, load a spreadsheet, and then save it
as an Excel file. There don't seem to be any macro capability within
Works, so if I could do this from Excel VBA, I think I could automate
the entire process.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid
address is available on my web site.

Steve,

Maybe I'm missing something...

Excel won't open the Works spreadsheet file. What I was thinking of
doing is to give commands from an Excel macro (using DDL or SendKeys
or whatever is available in Excel) to command Works to open the
file(s), and then save it in a file type that Excel can open. I can do
all this by hand, switching to Works and giving the commands, but I
was hoping to automate the process.

Since I'm much more familiar with VBA inWord, I'm presently trying to
give the commands from within a Word macro, and I've "almost" got it
working. The problem seems to be that Word passes the commands to
Works before Works finishes executing the previous command, and things
get screwed up.