-   -   Set Default Directory (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/273074-set-default-directory.html)

bw

Set Default Directory

I sent this earlier, but without a subject, and the news group appears to require a subject,
so I'm sending it again....
--------------------------------------
I have the following two statements (among others, of course):

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=TheFileName, Origin:=xlWindows, _
StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=myArray

I would like the default directory to begin looking in to be C:\

I have tried the following with no success:

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), C:\.txt")

Thanks,
Bernie

Ron de Bruin

Set Default Directory

I posted this:

Try this

I will save your default folder first to set it back at the end

Sub test()
Dim SaveDriveDir As String
Dim TheFileName As Variant
SaveDriveDir = CurDir
ChDrive "C"
ChDir "C:\"
TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), C:\.txt")

MsgBox "your code"

ChDrive SaveDriveDir
ChDir SaveDriveDir

Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)
www.rondebruin.nl

"bw" wrote in message ...
I sent this earlier, but without a subject, and the news group appears to require a subject,
so I'm sending it again....
--------------------------------------
I have the following two statements (among others, of course):

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=TheFileName, Origin:=xlWindows, _
StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=myArray

I would like the default directory to begin looking in to be C:\

I have tried the following with no success:

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), C:\.txt")

Thanks,
Bernie

Rob Bovey

Set Default Directory

Hi Bernie

This should do the trick for you:

ChDrive "C"
ChDir "C:\"
TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

"bw" wrote in message
I sent this earlier, but without a subject, and the news group appears to

require a subject,
so I'm sending it again....
--------------------------------------
I have the following two statements (among others, of course):

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=TheFileName, Origin:=xlWindows, _
StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=myArray

I would like the default directory to begin looking in to be C:\

I have tried the following with no success:

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt),

C:\.txt")

Thanks,
Bernie

Ron de Bruin

Set Default Directory

I didn't see your other post...I wonder why?

The Subject is NONE

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

"bw" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Ron.

That did it for me.

I didn't see your other post...I wonder why?

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Bernie

"bw" wrote in message news:1104_1059581509

@news.cableone.net...
I sent this earlier, but without a subject, and the news group appears to require a

subject,
so I'm sending it again....
--------------------------------------
I have the following two statements (among others, of course):

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=TheFileName, Origin:=xlWindows, _
StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=myArray

I would like the default directory to begin looking in to be C:\

I have tried the following with no success:

TheFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), C:\.txt")

Thanks,
Bernie

steve

Set Default Directory

bw,

Know what you mean. For some reason I'm not seeing all the posts either.
But using Find is a big help. You can even have it search by sender.

steve

"bw" wrote in message
Thanks, Ron.

That did it for me.