Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Randomization of Multiple Columns and Sequences

Sorry if this posted before...I did not fill in the Subject Line, so I
don't think my original went through. On with the show----

I created a simple spreadsheet with 10 sets of 3 columns, each separated
by a blank column, so 39 columns in all. The cells contain either a
single letter or number in a specific sequence, so each row will contain
10 specific sequences of the alphanumeric figures, i.e. the 3 cells "go
together." There are over 40 rows of this on the spreadsheet.

For example:

4 8 5 3 8 8 etc., with the blank column separating the 5 and 3 cells in
this example. 10 of these "clusters" run across each row. Right now
the spreadsheet is carefully set up in a type of numeric order.

What I want to do is be able to randomize or mix up all the clusters on
the sheet. So that a cluster in say, the very top left hand corner of
the sheet might now show up somewhere in the middle. All clusters must
retain their 3-digit internal order.

I would like to be able to hit a key or something to make the sheet mix
itself up randomly. Each time I do that, I would like the result to be
different from the previous randomization, so I don't keep getting the
same randomization starting from the original "in-order" spreadsheet.

Any help would be appreciated...If this is possible to do without VB,
that would be great as well. Thanks in advance!