-   -   Delete characters in cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/271560-delete-characters-cell.html)

AuthorizedUserPF[_2_]

Delete characters in cell

Hello

I have a cell containing characters in A1
The Characters are right aligned. I want to delete the righmost 6 characters
in the cell.
I am trying something like

Sub Remove_Characters()
Anystring = Range("a1")
MyStr = Right(Anystring,6)
MyStr Delete
End Sub

It isn't working. Am I using Delete in the correct context?

Thanks
I am running Win XP Pro and Excel Office XP

Robin Hammond

Delete characters in cell

I'm guessing you want something like this.

Sub StripRight()
Dim rngCell As Range
For Each rngCell In Selection
rngCell.Value = Right(rngCell.Value, 6)
Next rngCell
End Sub

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"AuthorizedUserPF" wrote in message
Hello

I have a cell containing characters in A1
The Characters are right aligned. I want to delete the righmost 6

characters
in the cell.
I am trying something like

Sub Remove_Characters()
Anystring = Range("a1")
MyStr = Right(Anystring,6)
MyStr Delete
End Sub

It isn't working. Am I using Delete in the correct context?

Thanks
I am running Win XP Pro and Excel Office XP

acw

Delete characters in cell

G'day

Try
Sub Remove_Characters()
Range("a1") = Left(Range("a1").Value, Len(Range
("a1").Value) - 6)
End Sub

Tony
I have a cell containing characters in A1
The Characters are right aligned. I want to delete the

righmost 6 characters
in the cell.
I am trying something like

Sub Remove_Characters()
Anystring = Range("a1")
MyStr = Right(Anystring,6)
MyStr Delete
End Sub

It isn't working. Am I using Delete in the correct

context?

Thanks
I am running Win XP Pro and Excel Office XP

.

Tom Lorenzo

Delete characters in cell

"AuthorizedUserPF" wrote in message
Hello

I have a cell containing characters in A1
The Characters are right aligned. I want to delete the righmost 6

characters
in the cell.
I am trying something like

Sub Remove_Characters()
Anystring = Range("a1")
MyStr = Right(Anystring,6)
MyStr Delete
End Sub

It isn't working. Am I using Delete in the correct context?

Thanks
I am running Win XP Pro and Excel Office XP

No, you aren't using it correctly. Assuming you want to place the shorter
string in cell a1, then try this:

Sub Remove_Characters()
Anystring = Range("a1").value

' Compute current length of string
myLen = Len(Anystring)

' Note: extra variables introduced for illustratation.
' delete the extra variables to simplify the routine

If myLen 6 Then
' What is length of string six characters shorter?
newLen = myLen - 6

' Set new string to the new, shorter length
newString = Left(Anystring, newLen)
' Note: might want to include the TRIM function for the new string,
depending on how you feel about spaces.

' And save that value in the cell
Range("a1").Value = newString

- Sox