-   -   customize a calculated field in a Pivot table (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/271242-customize-calculated-field-pivot-table.html)

Paul James

customize a calculated field in a Pivot table

I have a pivot table and instead of showing row and colum totals like the
wizard creates automatically, I would like to have those fields calculate
the averages of the values in the Data area. In addition, I need to make it
a customized Average calculation, because I need to include empty cells in
the denominator of the calculation, and not simply a count of the non-empty
cells, the way the Excel Average function does.

However, the online help for calculated fields in pivot tables says that you
cannot use worksheet functions that require cell references as parameters.
If that's the case, is there any way to replace the row and column totals
with the customized averages?

Thanks in advance.

Paul