-   -   Formula or code (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/271201-formula-code.html)

Jim[_15_]

Formula or code

-----Original Message-----
Hi...

In colum A I have 3000 names. In column B I want to
indicate which of these names are repeated in the

adjacant
B cell. The value in colum B must be the number of times
the name has been repeated...eg

A B
Jones 4
Jones 4
Jones 4
Harris
Smith 2
Smith 2
Jackson
Jones 4

Vlookup and Hlookup tables just don't seem to do the job.
Can anyone help here?

Thanks in advance

Gordon Cartwright
.
Gordon Excel's countif function should do what you

want. It takes just two arguments, the range to be
counted and the criteria. So try something like this:
In the top b column cell enter =countif(a$2:a$4000,a2) and
copy the formula to each cell. Jim