-   -   Document is locked by "" (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/99900-document-locked.html)

mtnhigh

Document is locked by ""

i have been noticing that when I attempt to open a shared excel workbook, I
get the workbook is locked by "", click read-only or notify. Who is "", most
of the time it lists a username that I can resolve , but I have noticed I am
starting to get locked by "" more and more

tim m

Document is locked by ""

Do you have a network administrator looking after shared resources? sounds
like a computer that perhaps has not been assigned to a specific person? If
you have a network admin I'd contact him or her.

"mtnhigh" wrote:

i have been noticing that when I attempt to open a shared excel workbook, I
get the workbook is locked by "", click read-only or notify. Who is "", most
of the time it lists a username that I can resolve , but I have noticed I am
starting to get locked by "" more and more

Gail

Document is locked by ""

If you do some minor computer cleanup you will alleviate a lot of problems.
If you delete all the files and folders in your C:\documents and
settings\user name\Local Settings\Temp directory. You may have to show
hidden files to be able to get to the directory.