-   -   Excel Help Needed (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/99088-excel-help-needed.html)

w3rdy303

Excel Help Needed

Hi all,

I am looking for formulation/organizational advice for a database of
over 3000 MLB Baseball games. This database would break down each game
based on 7 different factors that are evident in some games and abscent
in others...

What I am looking to do is to create a formula that resembles a "choose
your own adventure" sort of scenario...For example, If i wanted to
immediatly view all the games in the database that exhibited 1 factor,
say "Games where home team won by 5 or more," then I could easily view
all of those games... Then, it would have the capability to go deeper,
say now I only wanted to view "Games where home team won by 5 or more
and away team got 6 or less hits"...Etc...

This is the breakdown I am looking for.. So, if you could help me with
just the formulation part of this database project, I would be very
appreciative..

-Chase

--
w3rdy303
w3rdy303's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36331

raypayette

Excel Help Needed

It seems to me that you should use a database such as Access that has
SQL capabilities to make your 7 selections.

--
raypayette

raypayette's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29569
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561139

robert111

Excel Help Needed

use the sumproduct function to count only those criteria you are
interested in - thus by certain teams only, certain dates only, certain
criteria only - you can even have a drop down list or lists that allow
you to analyse your data.

--
robert111
robert111's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31996

Dav

Excel Help Needed

Have a look at filtering, you may me able to put your criteria in there
and do it

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561139

raypayette

Excel Help Needed

Perhaps you entered your database in Excel. You can easily transfer it
to Access with a Copy from Excel to a Paste in Access. It works quite
well!