Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Parse Data to Various Columns

Hi, I copied and pasted plain text from a source and need to parse the
columns. The problem is that the data (all in column A) needs to be
parsed to different columns depending on its format. Example:

Col A
AAAAA ** bbbbb ** Ccccc
Ddddd ** eeee

Needs to be this:
Col A Col B Col C Col D Col E
AAAAA ** bbbbb ** Ccccc
Ddddd ** eeee

I was thinking using an if statement would work, i.e. if there are four
"*" then ..., else... but I can't get anything to work. Please let me
know if you have any other suggestion, or possible solutions. Oh, and
this text cannot be opened as a file in Excel, it must be copied and
pasted.