-   -   "Web Query" refresh failure (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/98806-web-query-refresh-failure.html)

Matt

"Web Query" refresh failure

Hi there,

I'm really hoping somebody can help me.....

......I've been using Excel(2003)'s "Web Query" for a while now but I've
encountered a situation where the spreadsheets I've created only work
on "some" machines and not others. All the machines in question are
running XP os and Excel 2003sp2.

Basically, the web queries are used to extract share prices.....I know,
I know.....aren't pretty much ALL web queries used to do this :-)

However, on certain machines, the "Refresh" of the web queries causes
the data to disappear and the cells become blank.

So, upon further investigation, it appears when you "Edit Web Query"
the query has "lost" the ticks next to the table(s) that were selected.
This only occurs on certain machines. Now, if you re-tick the table(s)
the query will work as desired (but not on the other machines - there's
two distinct sets of machines where the query will either work or not
work, and if you edit the query these sets are reversed).

I tried saving out an iqy file from each machine to see what the
differences may be......and the only thing I can spot is that the line
"Selection=" varies between the two sets of machines. For example, one
set generates "Selection=24" and the other set generates "Selection=21"
for exactly the same web query. I'm sure this is the root of the
problem.....

So, in short.....can anyone advise me as to how I can rectify this
situation? Is there a specific dll that Excel calls for the Web Query
functionality? Is it a machine-specific setting that could cause the
web page to be parsed differently? Or.....??

Any input or help is very gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Matt

Don Guillett

"Web Query" refresh failure

See possible ans in .misc. Please do NOT multipost

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

ups.com...