-   -   Database Functions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/98271-database-functions.html)

SJT

Database Functions

I am looking for but cant' seem to find a database function that will
identify for me the entry that appears most often in a given column and
second most frequently in that same column. Is there such a function or
formula? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

RagDyeR

Database Functions

Most frequently occurring value:

=MODE(A1:A20)

Try this *array* formula for the second most frequently occurring value:

=MODE(IF(A1:A20<MODE(A1:A20),A1:A20))

--
Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of
the regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

Caveat:
In the case of ties, first number displayed in list takes precedence.

With the array formula for the 2nd most used value, blank rows are counted
as 0's, and 0 will be returned if they ( 0's ) outnumber any value.
--
HTH,

RD

"SJT" wrote in message
I am looking for but cant' seem to find a database function that will
identify for me the entry that appears most often in a given column and
second most frequently in that same column. Is there such a function or
formula? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Debra Dalgleish

Database Functions

You can create a pivot table from the data, and use it to show a count
of each value. There are examples and links he

SJT wrote:
I am looking for but cant' seem to find a database function that will
identify for me the entry that appears most often in a given column and
second most frequently in that same column. Is there such a function or
formula? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html