Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gdh82

Default league table without macros

Dear All,

My first post on this forum... I'm after a league table spreadsheet
that automatically sorts after entering results but I also want a
spreadsheet that doesn't use macros (pcs at work prevent the use of
macros - I understand why but its a pain still!).

I know this is possible from looking at this excellent freeware world
cup 2006 spreadsheet:
http://www.footballsupportersinterna...06/planner.htm

Ideally I'd like to adapt this spreadsheet for my needs but having
unhid all of the worksheets I'm blown away by just how complicated it
is: For each world cup group the worksheet is 9 PAGES LONG of what
seems like duplicated tables!!!

Could anyone help me understand this please or even point me to a
similar but simpler league table spreadsheet that doesn't contain
macros.

Any help appreciated...thanks in advance.

Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

As far as I am aware, there is no way of automatically triggering a sort
without a macro. I have a World Cup spreadsheet in which the only code
required is the sort and the sort "trigeer" i.e. an event which causes the
sort to be executed.

"gdh82" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

You can do it if you are prepared to have the sorted data as a separate
table, so you have one data capture table unsorted, one sorted display.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote:

[...]

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Topper and Bob Phillips for your replies - its much appreciated.

You can do it if you are prepared to have the sorted data as a separate
table, so you have one data capture table unsorted, one sorted display.

How complicated should this be, Bob ? Only the worldcup spreadsheet
seems to have 27 versions of the table (over a 9-page worksheet) which
I imagine are at varying stages of sorting? This seems too complicated
? Would you happen to know of a simpler spreadsheet by any chance ?

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All of the world cup spreadsheets that I have seen are all very complicated,
probably due to in part the authors trying to give them a special look and
feel associated with Germany 2006.

I have a league table which uses VBA, but I will try and adapt it over the
next few days to be VBA free. If you send me your email address I will
notify you if and when it is done.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote in
message ...

Thanks Topper and Bob Phillips for your replies - its much appreciated.

You can do it if you are prepared to have the sorted data as a separate
table, so you have one data capture table unsorted, one sorted display.

How complicated should this be, Bob ? Only the worldcup spreadsheet
seems to have 27 versions of the table (over a 9-page worksheet) which
I imagine are at varying stages of sorting? This seems too complicated
? Would you happen to know of a simpler spreadsheet by any chance ?

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a league table which uses VBA, but I will try and adapt it over
the
next few days to be VBA free. If you send me your email address I will
notify you if and when it is done.

Thanks very much for this offer, Bob :) - I'll send you my email
details shortly. Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have my own football league table which works without macros. It isn't
that complicated. As Bob suggests, it basically has one "hidden" table
and another table "sorted" in order to view

It has a list of fixtures. As you enter results the table updates based
on 3 points for a win and usual rules to split ties, i.e. goal
difference followed by goals scored.

If you'd like a copy send me a PM with your email address

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks daddylonglegs, I'd be grateful of a copy of your league
spreadsheet ! PM on the way!! Thanks again Garry :)

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Daddy,

I am in the middle of creating my own, but a couple of questions on how you
address certain points.

Do you allow for different points scoring systems? I do, by just having a
data sheet with the points for home and away wins, and a draw. How about
you?

How do you manage the change of teams over year to year?

How do manage the fact that say you have created the table for 20 teams and
someone else wants to setup a 22 team table? I am thinking here specifically
of ensuring the derived data automatically picks up the extra data.

Thanks

Bob

"daddylonglegs"
wrote in message
news:daddylonglegs.2abmlz_1151848804.8015@excelfor um-nospam.com...

I have my own football league table which works without macros. It isn't
that complicated. As Bob suggests, it basically has one "hidden" table
and another table "sorted" in order to view

It has a list of fixtures. As you enter results the table updates based
on 3 points for a win and usual rules to split ties, i.e. goal
difference followed by goals scored.

If you'd like a copy send me a PM with your email address

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have my own football league table which works without macros. It isn't
that complicated. As Bob suggests, it basically has one "hidden" table
and another table "sorted" in order to view

It has a list of fixtures. As you enter results the table updates based
on 3 points for a win and usual rules to split ties, i.e. goal
difference followed by goals scored.

Thanks very much :) for emailing me the spreadsheet - it runs fine on
the work pcs (which don't allow macros). I especially like how easy it
is to add/delete teams.

I'd like to know more about how it works - where is the hidden table?

The only downside in my opinion is that it doesn't create the fixtures
- ideally a fixture grid (home teams-vertical, away teams-horizontal).
I have a spreadsheet (with macros thought) that does that which I'd
gladly share - I'd like to have a go at merging elements of both
spreadsheets ?

Alternatively, could Bob incorporate a fixture grid into the
spreadsheet he's developing ?

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not sure what layout you mean. Take a look at my VBA version,
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html, and see if the results
format is what you mean.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob Phillips Wrote:
Daddy,

I am in the middle of creating my own, but a couple of questions on how
you
address certain points.

Do you allow for different points scoring systems? I do, by just having
data sheet with the points for home and away wins, and a draw. How
about
you?

How do you manage the change of teams over year to year?

How do manage the fact that say you have created the table for 20 teams
and
someone else wants to setup a 22 team table? I am thinking here
specifically
of ensuring the derived data automatically picks up the extra data.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

To answer your questions.

I created the spreadsheet originally for my own use. It currently only
caters for the standard points system, i.e. 3 points for a win and 1
for a draw but I believe that can be modified fairly easily.

In my sheet you need to list the teams and also the fixtures although I
think gdh82's suggestion of a fixture grid might be a good idea.

The teamlist has to be modified if the teams change, e.g. due to
promotion relegation but it accommodates any number of teams up to 30.

I certainly can't claim it's a work of art (or if it is, it's more of a
Dali that a da Vinci!) but I think it does a reasonable job, perhaps a
good job with some modifications. I can send you a copy if you wish.

If you don't mind, I'll have a look at your VBA version any see if I
can nick any ideas :)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please send me a copy. At the very least it will give me ideas on adding
teams as the OP said he liked the way that works.

I will post mine at my website when finished. If you wish I will post yours
also, so that people can see different approaches, and hopefully learn from
studying both.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"daddylonglegs"
wrote in message
news:daddylonglegs.2adlfz_1151940601.8475@excelfor um-nospam.com...

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not sure what layout you mean. Take a look at my VBA version,
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html, and see if the
results
format is what you mean.

That's the exactly the perfect layout, Bob !! In fact it turns out I
have been using this spreadsheet of yours and didn't even know it. I
really like it - its just that I can't use it on the work pcs because
they won't allow macros to run :(

Thanks again for the helpful responses - look forward to more news on
the subject...

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can at least rest assured that my no-macro version will input the scores
in the same way <G

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote in
message ...

I am not sure what layout you mean. Take a look at my VBA version,
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html, and see if the
results
format is what you mean.

That's the exactly the perfect layout, Bob !! In fact it turns out I
have been using this spreadsheet of yours and didn't even know it. I
really like it - its just that I can't use it on the work pcs because
they won't allow macros to run :(

Thanks again for the helpful responses - look forward to more news on
the subject...

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

BTW, I haven't received any email address for you yet.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote in
message ...

I am not sure what layout you mean. Take a look at my VBA version,
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html, and see if the
results
format is what you mean.

That's the exactly the perfect layout, Bob !! In fact it turns out I
have been using this spreadsheet of yours and didn't even know it. I
really like it - its just that I can't use it on the work pcs because
they won't allow macros to run :(

Thanks again for the helpful responses - look forward to more news on
the subject...

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for pointing this out but I did pm my email details on 2 July and
have re-forwarded them again just now (hope I'm doing it right?)

You can at least rest assured that my no-macro version will input the
scores in the same way <G

Great stuff ! Can't wait...:)

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still haven't got it, but I have just posted a first-cut at

http://www.xldynamic.com/example code/xld.league_table_sans_vba.xls

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. When we are happy, I will add it
to the main page, a VBA and a non-VBA version.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote in
message ...

Thanks for pointing this out but I did pm my email details on 2 July and
have re-forwarded them again just now (hope I'm doing it right?)

You can at least rest assured that my no-macro version will input the
scores in the same way <G

Great stuff ! Can't wait...:)

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

gdh82 Wrote:
And could I ask, daddylonglegs - how do I look at the hidden table in
your spreadsheet ? I'd like to try and understand it better but can't
find it ???

Hi gdh,

it's not actually hidden (although it can be) - its just a few columns
over to the right on the table worksheet, just scroll across until you
find it...

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

it's not actually hidden (although it can be) - its just a few columns
over to the right on the table worksheet, just scroll across until you
find it...

Sorry about that (v. embarassing!)

As for the hidden table, I'm impressed by how consise it is (so much
less convoluted than the world cup spreadsheets I've seen. There's a
number of functions I'll need to look up to help me understand it (!)
but for now could I ask what the adg score represents ? Thanks again.

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still haven't got it, but I have just posted a first-cut at

http://www.xldynamic.com/example code/xld.league_table_sans_vba.xls

Fantastic - its works a dream on the pcs at work (that is soo good to
see!) :) I've got a couple of thoughts of possible tweaks, if I may.
The main one is to ask if its possible to includea separate worksheet
containing the teamlist (akin to daddylonglegs' table) so the user can
easily add/delete/rename teams? Many thanks again. Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'll take a look at that. It's a good idea to manage the teams, better than
my suggestion.

What are the others?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote in
message ...

I still haven't got it, but I have just posted a first-cut at

http://www.xldynamic.com/example code/xld.league_table_sans_vba.xls

Fantastic - its works a dream on the pcs at work (that is soo good to
see!) :) I've got a couple of thoughts of possible tweaks, if I may.
The main one is to ask if its possible to includea separate worksheet
containing the teamlist (akin to daddylonglegs' table) so the user can
easily add/delete/rename teams? Many thanks again. Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

gdh82 Wrote:
Sorry about that (v. embarassing!)

As for the hidden table, I'm impressed by how consise it is (so much
less convoluted than the world cup spreadsheets I've seen). There's a
number of functions that I haven't used before so I'll need to look
them up to help me understand it (!) but for now could I ask what the
adg score represents ? Thanks again.

Hi gdh, I'm sure Bob can produce something rather superior to mine but
to answer your question....

"Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score".
Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based
on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a
tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly
higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.

Similarly if both points and goal difference are equal then the team
with the most goals scored will have a slightly higher "adj score"
ensuring, again, that the correct team is ranked higher.

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use a points, goal difference, goals scored, row algorithm to ensure
unique ranking in mine.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"daddylonglegs"
wrote in message
news:daddylonglegs.2ah72n_1152108607.7943@excelfor um-nospam.com...

gdh82 Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score".
Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based
on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a
tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly
higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.

Thanks for explaining that, daddylonglegs. IMO that's a really original
way around the problem - I would never have thought of approaching it
like that in a million years! ;) My eyes are being opened...

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob Phillips Wrote:
I'll take a look at that. It's a good idea to manage the teams, better
than my suggestion.

What are the others?

My only other suggestions concern the layout of the table so I guess
this is only my particular preferences and others may disagree.

For my purposes I've been using your league table for about 6-10
players which reduces the size of the fixture grid considerably so I'd
like to have the table on the same page as the fixtures. Ideally this
need only be the 'overall & pts' columns of the table. This is simply
a practical issue when printing off a hardcopy for the office
noticeboard.

I also think the table would look better if it could have alternating
shaded backgrounds for each of rows - just to guide the eye.

The table worksheet has the default orientation as portrait rather than
landscape, by the way.

Finally I did tend to find that with the macro version of the
spreadsheet I'd get run-time errors occasionally after added/deleting
teams and once the errors had started I generally would have to resort
to an earlier version of the spreadsheet. I guess, though, this won't
be an issue with the non-macro version?

Hope I'm not sounding too picky - just take this as constructive
feedback - as I'm already very impressed with your excellent
spreadsheet and am grateful of your willingness to help. Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Garry,

What I could do is to put the table and the results on the same page, in
separate windows, and the user could then close the second window if they
didn't want it, or it is a small table. The teams table would be separate
though still.

The line shading should be easy with CF, and I will set to landscape.

As for the VBA version, you don't know the sequence of events that caused by
any chance, I would like to fix it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"gdh82" wrote in
message ...

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob Phillips Wrote:

What I could do is to put the table and the results on the same page,
in
separate windows, and the user could then close the second window if
they
didn't want it, or it is a small table. The teams table would be
separate
though still.

As for the VBA version, you don't know the sequence of events that
caused by
any chance, I would like to fix it.

Thanks again or the further post, Bob. Sounds good to me- would it
possible to print the two separate windows as one page of hardcopy ?

As a very basic workaround on the VBA version I'd simply added a few
'=' operators to the right of the fixture grid that linked to the
relevant cells in the table worksheet. This then gave me the table on
the same worksheet as the fixture grid.

I'm afraid I don't know the exact sequence but I think it was a
combination of adding the table to the fixture worksheet and
adding/deleting teams that caused the run-time errors. Perhaps I was
putting the table in a place where the fixtures overlapped ? Sorry I
can't be more sure than that.

Cheers
Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob,

I know its only been a week since the last post and its really
brilliant that you're looking into this at all, but I just wanted to
follow this up and ask how the spreadsheet was going?

Hope I didn't sound too pedantic about the layout issues as really they
are secondary. The only key thing (I think) that needs to be added to
the non-macro version is a tab that can used to add/delete teams.

Look forward to your next post on the subject.:)
Thanks again
Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey good work lads but i have a question. I tried finding the 'hidden'
table by scrolling right but couldn't find it, and can anyone tell me
how to use the 'adj score'?

Thanks in advance

--
Jon23
Jon23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37452

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jon23 Wrote:
I tried finding the 'hidden' table by scrolling right but couldn't find
it, and can anyone tell me how to use the 'adj score'?

Hi Jon23,

To find the 'hidden table' make sure you're on the 'table' tab and
scroll right and its just off screen. The 'adj score' is the clever
idea by daddylonglegs and his explanation of it is:

"Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score".
Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based
on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a
tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly
higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.

I've actually got a question myself too - for you Jon23, daddylonglegs
or bob phillips or anyone else that might be able to help ?

I really like the ease with which I can add and delete teams using
daddylonglegs' spreadsheet - there's simply a 'teamlist' tab where
teams can be added and deleted - its so elegant! *I would like to
take this feature and add it to bob phillips' spreadsheet (which
displays the fixtures in a grid) - could anyone help me in trying to do
this ammendment ?*

Any help with this would be much appreciated...

Cheers
Garry

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still can't find it and I scrolled all the way over lol

Thanks about adj score, but what I meant to ask was how do I use it in
a formulae

--
Jon23
Jon23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37452
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557213

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jon23 Wrote:
I still can't find it and I scrolled all the way over lol

Thanks about adj score, but what I meant to ask was how do I use it in
a formulae

Are u using the spreadsheet leaguetable.xls (405K) with four tabs:
instructions, teamlist, fixtures and table ? Daddlylonglegs emailed it
to me. If you haven't then you won't be able to find the hidden table
;) but just pm me if you haven't.

--
gdh82
gdh82's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35902